Saturday, March 12, 2011

a few good words

the other morning on my way to work, i caught myself being completely lost in anxious thought over my yesterdays. lately, i have developed this bad habit of worrying....

not necessarily the typical worry about finances, relationships, self-image, but more consumed with thoughts like "i should've done this/that yesterday" and feeling strangely unsatisfied & disappointed in my yesterday. the point is, i've been worrying about the past. something i definitely have no control over even if i tried. where did this come from? i have no idea, but i do know that in the midst of my stomach twisting in upseting thoughts, some scripture popped in my mind that immediately allowed me to be free from all that worrying i had been doing.

this isn't anything deep or a miraculous discovery, but you know sometimes you hear something once and it kinda sounds nice, but then you hear it again, and it's words change you somehow.. so that's what this scripture did for me, and i thought i'd share and maybe bring some enouragement to your day.

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)

this word just seemed to call me out of my sillyness of worrying about things that already happened. if the Lord has the ability to demonstrate new mercies, new love, new grace to me each and every single day, despite my sinfulness, then what am i doing becoming anxious over my yesterdays? what happened in my yesterdays is over and done with. and honestly, right now, i couldn't even tell you what i was even worrying about. 

...silly tina.