Sunday, December 8, 2013

winter bucket list

The last time we left off, I was just about to move into my new place... which brings me to realize that it's been about a year since I last posted anything. To update you, I've since moved in, got engaged (July), and then married (Nov.-wow!). It's so sweet to sit here and type about such changes in my life.

Currently, I'm snuggled up on the couch next to my new hubby & our cuddly puppy is napping on the other side of me. Life is pretty excellent at the moment seeing as how we are currently on our 3rd day of being iced in. While I might potentially be catching that cabin fever, I've also enjoyed the magic that is being stuck in the house with an endless amount of Christmas movies to watch & freshly popped popcorn at our fingertips.

During our honeymoon, Michael and I talked about how much we both love the idea of creating our own traditions in hopes of sharing them with our children one day. We are really great at coming up with ideas, but sometimes the busyness of life gets in the way of us getting around to actually doing what we have dreamed up.

Originally, I considered an Advent Calendar, but quickly realized that planning a daily activity for us to accomplish was a little bit unrealistic with our busy schedules. I didn’t want to go into this setting ourselves up for failure. I decided on creating a bucket list to keep us on track not only for the days leading up to Christmas, but also for the rest of the winter season.

If you’re like me, I’m pretty much over with winter time as soon as January 1st arrives so I’m hoping that this list will help us look forward to the days ahead instead of wishing the winter days away. Since I’m a very visual person, I decided that I wanted to make something for us to be able to see every day. I had leftover note cards from our wedding & decided to use each card for an item on the list.


Lately I've been obsessed with creating banners (don’t ask!), so I decided to run with his obsession and created a “Winter Bucket List” banner. To do this I simply created a Word document & enlarged the font to 350 or so. Once I printed it out, I cut the letters out and then traced them on to scrapbook paper. Once I had all of my letters cut out, I taped them to some pretty baker’s twine that I found at Target.

I originally planned on using some more baker’s twine & clothespins to hang up my cards, but completely forgot to purchase said clothespins prior to the snowpacolypse. Instead, I used double sided tape to hang up each of my cards. Since Christmas is the time of year to get overly festive, I decided to hang up my cards in the shape of a Christmas tree…awww!

Not only does this list help to add to Christmas decorations we have around our home, but I can’t help but get excited over the memories we will be creating this winter each time I look at our list. Of course, the plan is to properly document each item on our list via pictures. As Instagram does a really great job at making my picture taking skills look like I’m a professional, I’ll definitely be documenting here so feel free to follow along!

I’ve also promised myself that once our list is complete, I’ll be making a photo album with all of our pictures & bucket list cards. I can’t wait to see what memories we make and what traditions we create from this fun list!

Christina